Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Friday, July 22, 2011

Fun Times in South Texas

Savannah and I just returned from spending a week with my family in Harlingen, TX.  They left Spring about 4 months ago so this was our first time going to their new house in a not so new town.  I must say, Harlingen hasn't changed a whole lot in the last 5 years.  

We arrived on Wednesday evening after a very long day of traveling (I sure do miss the one flight to Houston) but Savannah actually took a nap on one of the planes so she was super excited and wide awake when Grams and Grandad met us at the airport.  As always, she ran right up to Grams and surprisingly she even ran up to Grandad---the effects of Skype are amazing!  We stayed up way past bedtime because of all the excitement but that didn't stop her from waking up early.  In fact, she stayed up way too late every night and still managed to wake up early every day.  I think she was nervous that she would miss something if she slept while everyone else was still awake.
Moments after arriving and it's already an hour past bedtime. No sign of sleepiness. 
On Thursday afternoon my grandmother and Uncle Chuck drove down from Kerrville to spend a few days with us and go the Island for the weekend.  My parents had rented a house on South Padre so we all crammed in for a cozy beach weekend.  Even Uncle Harlan, Mark and their 2 dogs met us down there.  We all had such a great time relaxing at the house, playing in the ocean, and making sand castles.  It was definitely hot so when Savannah started waving to the ocean and putting her shoes on, we knew it was time to head inside for lunch and a nap.  
Here are a few pictures from our trip to the beach:
Savannah and Grandad playing around the first morning.
the whole family, except me, out in the ocean 
me and my hot little girl
"Is anyone going to help me with my digging?!"
Savannah, Uncle Harlan, and Maya
She loved her umbrella as long as it wasn't attached to her chair.
water break
digging with Grams
building sand castles
Her first time taking Buster for a walk

The boys drove back to Houston on Sunday and Granny and Uncle Chuck left early Monday.  That left Savannah, Grams, Grandad, and I to hang out in Harlingen for our last couple of days.  Savannah had such a great time playing outside (until it got too hot), playing with new and different toys, and getting into lots of things that she shouldn't have.  While at the grandparent's house, there aren't too many rules so she definitely gets spoiled rotten.  I think she made it all the way to the last night before she got into any real trouble.  After a pop from Grams (for trying to hurt Buster), Savannah finally gave Grams a "no no no" while shaking her finger.  Considering that I get that daily from her at home, it was surprising that 7 days passed before she did it there.  Like I said, not a lot of rules over there.  And here's a first for the record books: my mom has had the same glass-topped coffee table for my whole life.  It has made it through me and my brothers, cousins, and cousins kids.  The first grandchild comes along and after repeated attempts to climb on top of it and repeated scoldings, Grams had to remove the glass.  So with the glass gone Savannah used it like a new playhouse.  One day I took her swimsuit off after playing outside, she came running in the house, climbed into the coffee table, and as she says "go potty" inside of it.  If it had been my house I probably would have freaked out but since it wasn't, I laughed hysterically.  That girl of mine is just too much!  

Here are some other pictures from our time in Harlingen:
Grams and Grandad don't have a real pool yet but this one worked fine while we were there. 
it's one of the best kiddie pools I've ever seen
Savannah with Grandad
Savannah with Uncle Chuck and Granny
Her new favorite chore--helping Grams water the flowers.
They also have a hot tub but it's more like a cool tub since they keep the temps low. 
She kept pointing and saying "pool" at the hot tub. Notice that she took her jammies off so I think she wants to get in. 
"No pool, fine then. I'll just help Grams with the water hose."
And now the diaper is off. FYI this is only allowed at the grandparents house.
Bath time
the little diva
One of her new favorite things is to ride in Grandad's truck. She has an obsession with trucks.
Another walk for Buster.  It starts out nice.....
...but very quickly went down hill.  Poor Buster!
Buster playing dead while Savannah is trying to kick him out of his bed.

Cool tub fun!
She filled her watering can with rocks so she had trouble dragging it around the yard.
Getting ready for bed with Grandad.
Savannah and I were both sad to leave Grams and Grandad but luckily we will be seeing them next month when we meet up with them in Dallas en route to San Diego.  Thanks Grams and Grandad for having us!!  We sure did have a lot of fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment