Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Monday, June 6, 2016

Return to blogging---January

My blogging has fallen way behind.  In fact, I rarely even think about it and now when I do it causes me anxiety.  So many months have passed and I haven't done a single update.  The thought has crossed my mind to just forget about it and move on but I know that down the road I'll look back at all my past blog books and I'll regret not sticking with it.  The kids love to look through past years and see all the things they did and places they visited.  So I'm going to try to catch up as best as I can and do monthly summaries until I'm up to date.

First up is January. On the first the kiddos and I went to an early matinee of The Good Dinosaur.  I love when we're the only people in the theatre! We can talk and not worry about bothering anyone else.  After the movie we headed home for our annual stone crab claw dinner.  Walker was so excited to get involved in the cracking this year.  And as usual, Oscar ate himself into a crab coma and has once again vowed to not eat crabs until January 1, 2017.  
 Both kids started speech therapy with Ms. Anne.  I now go to her office on Tuesdays at 1:00 with Walker and back again at 4:00 for Savannah.  Needless to say it's a long day for my little man.  I didn't realize how delayed his speech really is but I'm hoping he will progress quickly.  Savannah really only needs a couple of sessions.  There are a couple of sounds that she still struggles with (th- and r's) and once she trains her tongue/lips she will be right where she should be developmentally.
napping during Savannah's session
 This month also was the beginning of our Girl Scout cookie sales.  I had no idea how time consuming this job would become.  My days literally revolved around distributing cookies, collecting money, and inputting sales for about 2 and a half months.
my dining room in January - March
this was my view every night
selling door to door 
Savannah received ice skates for Christmas and she couldn't wait to try them out at the indoor rink in Hillsborough.  She caught on really quickly and managed to go around multiple times on her own.  Walker and I on the other hand desperately needed assistance.
 One evening Savannah decided she wanted to help do the dishes.  Yep, she voluntarily did a chore without being told.  I was so excited that I had to document this.  Unfortunately, it was a one time thing and she has yet to do it again.  But she does often volunteer to take the trash out.  So that's something I suppose.  
 After weeks and weeks of training it was finally time for my marathon.  The kids and I flew to Houston on Thursday the 14th and spent a couple of nights with my parents.  Oscar flew in on Saturday and he and I checked into the hotel near the start/finish and went to the expo.  This was only my second night away from my children which would normally make me a nervous wreck but I desperately needed this night away from all possible sleep wreckers.  After dinner with Harlan and Kendall we went back to the room and I drugged myself with Melatonin and passed out.
he's finally an easy-going airline traveler
just chillin at the airport
on the roof with Grandad taking down Christmas lights
there's my name!
 The morning of the race I woke up ready to go.  Normally I feel very apprehensive and anxious before races but this time I was calm and confident.  My goal was to get a 3:45 and qualify for Boston.  I started out a little faster than I had planned but I felt good.  I first saw Oscar around mile 9 and I was several minutes faster than I should have been.  When I saw him again at mile 19 the fatigue was starting to creep in but I still felt strong.  Shortly thereafter my right knee started to hurt.  It reminded me of what happened in DC several years prior.  It wasn't a shooting pain but it did start to get worse over the next couple of miles.  My pace started to suffer but I refused to stop.  I knew if I started to walk then I may not be able to run again.  I just wanted to finish.  I didn't look at my watch again until right before the finish line.  And then I saw it!  I was going to BQ!!!  Even with the knee pain I finished in 3:30:09---over 9 minutes faster than I needed!!  With a lead that big I should be guaranteed a spot in Boston for 2017.

Back at home our days continued as usual with school, Girl Scouts, speech, playtime, etc.  
Walker's first dress up jammies (finally not wearing a princess dress)
Savannah using her new pottery wheel 
We didn't get much snow this past winter but there was enough for a school delay and one cancel.
the first dusting
hot chocolate is always a good idea
second snow was a little heavier

modeling a real Buzz costume
We finished off the month having to say goodbye to cousin Nik.  His term in the Air Force is finished and he's heading back to Cali to be in the Reserves and finish school.  He stopped by for a couple of days before driving across the country on his motorcycle.  We sure will miss seeing him when we visit NYC.  And don't even remind me about Michael transferring in a few months!

No comments:

Post a Comment