Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas in the City

Christmastime in New York City is my absolute favorite time to visit the city.  Last year we weren't able to travel since Little Man was due any day so this year I was even more excited to go since it had been so long.  There was snow in the forecast which made Savannah super excited to hurry and get there.
We arrived on Thursday, December 12 when temps were in the 20s.  Although traveling with two small children is quite a workout so I welcomed the cold weather.  I even didn't mind the extremely long taxi line; however, the other travelers in line most have thought we were freezing because the most amazing thing happened.  First, two gentleman offered to switch places with me so that we were bumped up a couple of spots.  I tried to decline but they insisted.  They said it was too cold for me and my babies to be standing out in the frigid weather.  Then after moving to their spot the 20 something people still ahead of me all moved aside to allow Savannah, Walker, and I to move to the very front of the line.  I couldn't believe it!!  Never have I seen such generosity in NYC!  Either everyone in line was not a local or the Christmas spirit was in full force.  I like to think the latter.  
After checking into the hotel we headed across the street to stroll through Central Park.  Oscar was busy with work commitments until late so we were on our own for the night.  Not really feeling up for taking the kiddos out to eat on my own, we decided to stay in and order room service.  
making snowballs
watching the iceskaters
checking out the view from our room
Friday morning we lounged around before heading out for a run through the park.  Luckily Walker fell asleep so I got in a good, long run after which we walked through our favorite little zoo.  After a nice hot bath we headed out for a quick lunch where we experienced a little more of that Christmas spirit.  The cafe we went to was packed, of course, so I expected to wait a little while for a table to open up.  We barely had time to wait before not one but two different couples offered to speed up and give us their table.  Never has that happened to me before in this town!  The thoughtfulness continued to come whenever I was out walking and pushing the stroller.  So many people held doors for us, helped me lift the stroller over curbs, and allowed room for us to pass.  I'm starting to think that the city must be trying to convince me to move back :)
feeding the lama at the zoo
playing the piano at Eloise's at the Plaza
Savannah, Walker, and I made our way to the American Girl store to have tea.  This is always a favorite stop for Savannah but I don't think Walker was too impressed.  I'm not sure how much longer he is going to cooperate on these girl stops.  After tea we met Oscar at one of my favorite restaurants, Hillstone, for dinner.  Then it was back to the hotel for Disney movies and bed.
tea time
Walker is not impressed
Savannah with George and Abby
Saturday we woke up to snow flurries and we rushed off to Macy's to visit SantaLand.  This place is still hands down the best Santa spot ever!  Savannah was a big girl and sat beside Santa but poor Walker had a freak out.  So we all sat together for a group picture while Savannah told Santa her wishes.  For lunch we headed further up the east side to go the best grilled cheese and tomato soup spot, EAT.  Also it's the most expensive grilled cheese and tomato soup spot in the city.  It's a good thing it's soooo good.    
heading into Macy's
watching the snow fall
The snow continued for the rest of the day but that definitely didn't deter the crowds.  Because Walker doesn't nap well away from home we all bundled up to go for a late afternoon walk through the park.  Within five minutes both kiddos were passed out.  So Oscar and I decided to get out of the snow and stroll through the Time Warner Center.  After spending over an hour in the running store, Walker woke up and we headed back to the hotel.  The snow was brutal!!  Even Savannah thought it was too much so we decided to stay in and order delivery for dinner.
Sunday cousin Nik rode the train in to the city and we all went out to brunch in the village with the Tellings, Loan and kids, Traci, and Colin.  The beginning of brunch was a little chaotic.  There were only a couple of other tables taken when we arrived and I'm sure once they saw us with our 8 kids, they were quickly reconsidering their brunch spot.  Thankfully the restaurant filled up pretty quickly so our noise was drowned out by the other groups.  It was so nice to see everyone and to finally meet the Telling twins.  It's rare that we can all get together so the few times that we do are really special.       
Walker and Nik
she looks so chic
S with her BFF, Kieran
with Colin
Haley and LoAn
LoAn and sweet Alexis
the whole gang minus Kieran who was running around
tasting the snow
After brunch it was time to say goodbye, head back to the hotel, and get ready to go to the airport.  It was such a fun four days.  The city really is magical at this time of year.  Just another reason to say "it's the most wonderful time of the year!"


No comments:

Post a Comment