Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Girls trip to NYC

Savannah and I left for New York on Saturday March 31 to attend my friend, Alina's, baby shower.  Yes, that's a long way to go for just a baby shower but I felt like it was something I should do especially since she threw my own baby shower for me 3 years ago.  Another former coworker, also named Elina (but with an E), graciously invited us to stay in her small 1 bedroom NY apartment.  I definitely forewarned her about the destructiveness of Savannah but she seemed more than thrilled about the opportunity to have a 2 and a 1/2 year old around.  I'm sure that now that we're gone she's definitely rethinking the possibility of starting a family immediately after her September wedding date :)  No really, Savannah was actually on her best behavior for the entire trip.  Even I was totally blown away at her adaptability and her extreme friendliness to a total group of strangers.  She was a total delight during the 6 hour (yes, I said 6 hours) baby shower.  She definitely was the center of attention (big surprise) throughout most of it.....luckily the mom-to-be didn't mind sharing the spotlight.
Savannah's photo skills at work
Savannah's turn at measuring Alina's baby bump
me with the mom-to-be
I'm trying to hold her back from opening the gifts
When we weren't setting up for the party, partying, or cleaning up from the party Savannah and I did our usual NYC things---lots of walking, a little bit of shopping, and playing in the parks.  We had to make our usual stop to the American Girl store.  I've decided it's much easier to go there when she's sleeping.  She ran amuck grabbing dolls, carriers, dresses, etc..  It's amazing we got out of there without spending over $50.

We had so much fun playing in the parks!  That's definitely one of the things I miss most about the city.  Regardless of which park we went to, there were always kids around for her to play with.  The Union Square park even has a gigantic sand pit so of course she was all into that.  The park across the street from Elina's apartment was huge so there was a lot of room to just run around.  I think Savannah's favorite thing to do at that particular park was to chase the pigeons.  And since NYC pigeons aren't afraid of people, she was in a constant battle trying to run them off.  Yes, her actions screamed out "tourist" but it really was quite hilarious to watch :)

waiting at the airport 
she was on her best behavior for this flight
She was either mesmerized or terrified of the cab ride.
back in good 'ol NYC
fun times at the Union Square Park
such a neat sad pit
the last morning of our girls trip, enjoying a pink donut
another local playground
chasing the pigeons
She said goodbye to the city Monday afternoon but not before a yummy pizza lunch from Artichoke.  They actually have one in the LGA airport----sooo great!  We're hoping to make a trip back sometime this summer to see the newest Austin family member and of course we'll be back for Elina's fall wedding.  I love having reasons to go back often.....it makes me definitely not miss living there :)      

No comments:

Post a Comment