Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Marathon Weekend

On October 30, after approximately 16 weeks of training, Oscar and I ran our first full marathon.  Yes, I know what you're thinking and yes Oscar actually did it and lives to tell about it :)  After the random freak snow that occurred during our drive to DC, we woke up to freezing temps before the race.  Luckily we packed appropriate gear but because Savannah was battling a bug, she and Grams didn't get to come out and meet us at the finish line.

fun times in the hotel
Oscar and I went our separate ways before the race so I can't really account for his experience during the event.  All I can say is that he finished with a smile on his face.  I can't say the same for myself.  After doing everything perfectly during training season and not having to deal with any injuries or sicknesses, I fell to knee and hip pain at mile 16.  I'm still not really sure what caused the shooting pains but it totally killed my racing experience.  Prior to mile 16 I was still on pace to finish in under 4 hours but due to the paralizing pain I finished in 4:32 (fyi, I still beat Oscar...hehe).  I guess I should be proud to have fought through the pain to actually finish but I'm still feeling bitter about the whole thing.  Now a week and a half later, my knee still causes me pain when I hit the 4 mile marker.  I had planned to do another marathon in March.....I guess I'll see how this injury plays out.
all smiles moments before crossing the finish line
Marathon finishers
On Monday after the race, we visited the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.  That has to be me favorite of all the museums.  Savannah was in constant amazement looking at all the displays of wild animals and dinosaur bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment