Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Apple Pickin' 2011

The Alvarez family did our yearly trip to the apple orchard this past weekend so that can only mean one thing.......fall is in the air--woohoo!!!!  Unfortunately we didn't quite have fall temps last weekend but I hear it's coming this weekend---double woohoo!!!  We returned to Millstone Creek Orchards in Ramseur, NC and because of our fairly wet summer the apples were in much better shape this year than last year.  We managed to dodge the rain showers on Saturday and we picked a full bushel of apples.  Savannah had a blast splashing through the mud puddles, carrying apples from the trees to the baskets, dragging the baskets around, and swinging on the tire swings.  Overall, we had a perfect fall family outing.  What a great way to kick of the fall season!
making our way to the orchards
enjoying her first time splashing through puddles
I love this shot! It leads you to believe we had the whole place to ourselves.
going in for her first apple
"Check it out! I got two!!" (fyi, two is her new favorite word)
My little helper carried all my picked apples and threw them in the basket.  Somehow we made it home with unbruised apples.
Despite her face, she was having a great time.
quick pic with dad
Savannah enjoying the fruits of her labor.
"Here mom, take a bite."
She loved the tire swing!
"I said, push higher!!!"
I love all her silly faces.
Back at home I've already made 2 apple cakes, 2 batches of applesauce, butternut squash and apple soup, and apple butter.  Somehow I've still got over a half bushel left and I'm running out of ideas of what to make next.  Savannah and I may do caramel and candy apples tomorrow if I'm ready and willing to clean up a huge mess.  I absolutely refuse to make an apple pie because I just strongly dislike making pies so I'm open to any other suggestions.  Preferably the easier the better since my little sous chef has to always been in the middle of everything :)



No comments:

Post a Comment