Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

My Sweet Babies

My Sweet Babies

Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year....

I love everything about Christmastime----the wonderful smells, the joyful carols, the holiday cheer, the beautiful decorations, the cheesy movies, you name it...I love it!!  I try to plan something festive every weekend for us to do as a family.  Unfortunately Oscar was gone the first weekend and most of the first week of December so the first official event occurred on Saturday, December 10 when we took a carriage ride through downtown Chapel Hill.  Our old horse, Bill, went a little slow for Savannah but we still enjoyed the leisurely stroll through some neighborhoods that we had not seen before.  
checking out the decorations at the Carolina Inn
quick pic in the courtyard
"Mom, this one is way better than the ones we make!" (be sure to enlarge photo to see S's expression)
"Let's get going, Bill."
"Thanks for the ride. See you next year."
On Sunday the 11th we took Savannah to her first Disney on Ice performance.  She absolutely LOVED it!!!!  Oscar totally spoils us with rockstar seats so not only did we have the best view, we also had free food and drinks brought to us before the show.  The best part was the Tangled segment.  It reminded me a bit of Cirque du Soleil with all the flying through the air on Rapunzels long golden hair.  And of course Max was there so Savannah was more than thrilled :)  The final scene included all the Disney princesses along with Mickey and Minnie.  My little girl amazes me with her recognition of all the characters even when they're not wearing their typical dresses.  
quick pic after church in our matching dresses
all ready for the show
S learning the art of the self pic
checking out her souvenirs
yes, another turney light up thing
she was captivated the whole time
Rapunzel and Max
The following Monday, Savannah and I headed to NYC for a week.  That's a post all by itself that I'll be posting shortly.

We returned from the city on Saturday the 17th just in time to have brunch with Santa at the country club on Sunday.  Unfortunately her excitement with Santa is beginning to waver.  She wanted absolutely nothing to do him so we were not able to get a picture of them together this year.  Oh well, maybe next year.  That evening Oscar and I volunteered to help serve at the Morovian Love Feast at church.  It's definitely one of my favorite services of the year and this was our first year to help out.  I'm glad we did it but I'm looking forward to just sitting back and enjoying it next year.    
"It's Claus!"
"He's not going to come any closer is he?"
"I said "NO NO NO NO NO!!" I don't want to see him!" 
my sweet girl back at home
On Tuesday the 20th we went to the annual Santa Train at the Museum of Life and Science.  I hate to say it but we (referring to me and Oscar) were slightly disappointed with this years Santa display.  It looked more like a sleigh wreck where Santa and Mrs. Claus were abandoned by the reindeer.  I didn't faze Savannah and she had a great time anyways so that's really all that matters.  I even almost convinced her to have her face painted but she backed out at the last minute.  And yet another.....oh  well, maybe next year :)    
Here comes the train.
the sleigh wreck

Wednesday the 21st was my 31st birthday.  The morning started with a run outside and a class at the gym--my favorite way to spend a morning.  Harlan Jr. and Mark arrived that afternoon to spend Christmas with us at our house.  That alone is a great present especially since I had anticipated spending Christmas with no other family expect my little family of 3 and 2 dogs.  Now we've got a family of 5 and 4 dogs :)  Oscar and Savannah gave me a fabulous new purse for a birthday present and then we all went out to dinner and had my favorite cake back at home.  Overall, a fantastic birthday :)
the only picture taken all day of the birthday girl
The next day, Savannah and I went to the Teddy Bear Tea with Mrs. Claus at the Carolina Inn.  That was such a cute event and one that I intend to do with Savannah for as long as she's willing to go.  She brought along her favorite bear, Lucy, and we snacked on tea sandwiches, cookies, fruit, scones, hot chocolate, and tea.  Then Mrs. Claus gathered all the children and read Christmas stories.  Soooo cute!!
quick pic before the tea
Savannah and Lucy
the teddy bear and Mrs. Claus 
On Friday I finished up some more baking and Savannah and I put together our annual gingerbread house.
she found the M and Ms 
"Where does the man go?"
one for the cookie and one for Savannah
busted with a mouthful of candy
"What do you mean "no more"?!?"
And now it's Christmas Eve and I've already stayed up way too late just to finish catching up with this blog.  I'm off to bed to catch a few hours of zzz's before the most exciting day of the year.  More to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment